Are you in good physical shape? Find out the answer through Functional Movement Screen!
What is Functional Movement Screen
FMS is a set of tests that functionally analyzes the muscles and joints of the body, to create a proper training program and prevent injuries.
This assessment identifies, at a basic level, the degree of mobility, stability, symmetry and motor control of a person. The patient finds out if there are certain dysfunctions and if it is necessary to make a detailed physical evaluation.
FMS tests 7 different categories of movement (deep knee flexion, shoulder mobility, squats, leg raising, floating, etc.), and for each one points are offered on a scale from 0 to 3:
- 0 – The movement is painful;
- 1 – Inability to perform the movement;
- 2 – Ability to perform the movement, but incomplete or imperfect;
- 3 – Ability to perform the movement completely.
The categories of movements are designed so as to clearly observe the level of functionality of the musculoskeletal system, putting the patient in physical positions where imbalances or asymmetries become more visible. Once possible deficiencies have been identified by the specialist, a corrective exercise program can be developed in order to prevent musculoskeletal injuries or appropriate training sessions can be created.
What are the advantages of FMS?
- It gives you an overview of your physical abilities;
- Find out if you are fit for physical activity or training;
- Identifies possible dysfunctions and shows if a more detailed assessment is needed to diagnose certain conditions;
- Contributes to the prevention of injuries and musculoskeletal disorders;
- The information can be used to create a personalized training program.